Sunday 19 October 2014

The 'Find the Casualty' Game





I had a new experience last weekend when I went across to Red Screes at Kirkstone Pass to watch Jan and Daisy training for Daisy to be a search dog.  It’s the first training session I’ve been to.  Until now I have deliberately stayed away so that Daisy would not be distracted by my presence.


Watching them both work was really interesting.  Daisy covers big distances incredibly well and is very good at finding the ‘casualties’.  She doesn’t always tell Jan that she has found the casualty though so the next training step is to make sure that she goes back and barks for Jan.  At the moment she finds one casualty and then tends to move straight on to look for more but she should always return to Jan as soon as she has found somebody.


It was obvious that both Jan and Daisy are enjoying the training and I was delighted to see just how much progress they have made in only a few months.  I also enjoyed meeting members of some of the other rescue teams.


We had gone over there with our camping van intending to stay overnight in the Ullswater area.  We found that the camping sites were all very busy with people who are taking the opportunity to see the autumn colours.  It’s good to know that so many people are appreciating the Lakes in all their moods.  It looks good even on wet days but when it is sunny with broken cloud, it looks spectacular.  It really is worth a weekend visit if you have the opportunity but don’t forget your camera!


Daisy here,



Roy came to watch me train.  I was brilliant.  I found everybody really quickly.  It’s not my fault that Jan can’t smell them.

No comments:

Post a Comment