Wednesday 11 December 2013

Daisy is missing her running and swimming.



One of my big jobs last week was to take a load of tree guards and tree posts up Langstrath on our ATV (All Terrain Vehicle).  Our woodland ranger Maurice and I hope that, weather allowing and with the help of volunteers, we’ll be able to do some tree planting up there before Christmas.  The ATV is brilliant for such jobs.  It can take some quite big loads into some difficult places so it saves us a lot of time and effort.



The tree planting scheme is part of the woodland expansion scheme that Maurice has been heavily involved in.  The tree population in Langstrath has been ageing and declining for some time now so it will be good to restore some to the landscape.



 For anybody who knows the area, I managed to take the materials as far as Black Moss Pot.  This is a deep-sided gorge with good access and a small stream running through it.  It is a fantastic place to go swimming when it is nice and warm although perhaps not at this time of year!




On my way down Borrowdale that morning I spotted a big red deer stag standing in the middle of the river near Grange.  There were also six or seven red deer on the opposite river bank.  Further on near the Stonethwaite campsite, as I passed an ash tree, I saw a red squirrel with its fluffed up winter coat scampering around the trees. I can’t say this too often.  There is a huge amount of wildlife to be seen around here if we only take the time to look carefully.  All you need to do is pause quietly and be observant.  You never know when it will be your luck to be in the right place at the right time to see something outstanding.

Daisy here:


I’ve had an operation on my tummy.  It’s horrible.  It’s so that I can’t have puppies in future.  I didn’t want puppies anyway.  I’m not allowed to run or jump or be walked off the lead for ten whole days.



No comments:

Post a Comment