Monday 15 April 2013

Our own amphitheatre!


As I mentioned in the last post, much of this week has been spent working in the area around the shop at the lake-shore.

A number of volunteers popped in to join me and help with constructing the sub-structure for the recycled decking that will be the base of the open-air classroom.  This is now being rather grandly referred to as an amphitheatre!  Eventually the base will be screened from the view of passing walkers by tree trunks that will also serve as seating.

View from the 'amphitheatre'.
There will also be an accessible ramp sweeping from the side of the shop around to a dirt-scree path behind the decking and then on to link with the path through Cockshot Wood. What we want to do is make it easy for as many people as possible to enjoy exploring the woods rather than just walking a tarmac road.

As usual I had a steady stream of volunteers turning up and giving their skills, time and enthusiasm to push this project forward quickly.  We just could not achieve so much without them.





Whilst we were working in the area around the shop, I had my attention drawn to a miniature garden on top of a short stretch of wall.  There will be hundreds or even thousands of people who pass it every day and don’t notice it.





The hills, the lakes and even the trees are so big and splendid that they demand attention.  This little garden and many others wait for you to notice them.  So, when you pause in your exploring, it’s worth remembering to look at the small things. 





Hi, it’s Daisy here.  I’ve been working with lots of new people and they’re all really friendly.  I’ve been saying “Hello” to people as they walked past me working outside the shop.  (I think that’s going to be my job.)


No comments:

Post a Comment