Tuesday 23 April 2013

Off the beaten tracks.




Now that the lighter evenings are here, it is much easier to get out in the evening and as I had worked over Easter, I was also able to take some lieu time last week.  Some of it was spent walking the fells.  Even in the busiest times of the year, it is still easy to find some places in the Lake District to be alone and to find peace and quiet. 


I am often asked, “What’s your favourite place?” but I usually answer, “You have to go and find your own.”  It is really easy to find quiet paths to walk and space to sit.  Most people tend to use the well-known paths like Catbells.  It’s a brilliant little hill and well worth its money but of course it is very popular.  You really don’t have to go far from there to find somewhere nice and quiet to sit in the sun and watch the world go by.


The dry weather we’ve been having allowed me to get out and about on my bike and also to do some climbing.  I had an outing with a couple of mates from the rescue team.  We did Little Chamonix which is a route on Shepherds’ Crag in Borrowdale.  It is a relatively easy, beautiful route in a fantastic setting and, climbing in the evening, we were the only ones on the crag.





We have also been out walking with Daisy.  She is a lot bigger now so she is only carried when she tires– I still have to scoop her up and carry her up steep sections!  We have had some rain recently but we did need it - everything has been incredibly dry and we have been quite worried about fires for a while.  The danger isn't over yet but the vegetation is mopping up some much-needed moisture and the lake level is rising.


Hi, It's Daisy
Life is brilliant but I don't like the rain. Sunbathing is the best.


No comments:

Post a Comment