Friday 4 September 2015

Back to enjoying my home territory.



After a really good holiday in Canada, I’m now back to my work in Borrowdale. Returning after a spell spent elsewhere always reminds me how lucky I am to live and work in one of the most beautiful places in the world. Canada is a superb place to visit but no matter where I’ve been on holiday, I’m always pleased to be home.  It was also good to see my regular volunteers again and to hear John’s good news. He has now started a full-time job which is great for him and we wish him every success with that. Of course I’ll miss having him as a frequent member of our team but he fully intends to carry on volunteering as often as he can fit it into his new timetable.





John was able to join us last week working on clearing brambles and gorse that have started to invade or overhang some footpaths. This is the kind of thing that rangers across the country will do regularly to keep rights of way and other networks of footpaths open and in good condition.


Another job last week was in response to email from the Calvert Trust outdoor centre that provides outdoor experiences for people with a range of disabilities. They drew my attention to some maintenance that was needed at the Bowder Stone abseil point. This is an abseil point I put in place for the National Trust and is intended for group use. The Calvert Trust makes good use of it because it is accessible for wheel-chair users. A big stone that is part of a retaining wall had started to move so we have bedded it in firmly again and will do more work on it during the winter.



The abseil point is for group use and we ask leaders to do their own risk assessment and to be qualified to a minimum SPA (single pitch supervisor) level or the equivalent for a military group. If two groups are using the site and the Calvert Trust turns up to use it, we ask that one group moves to another site. The Calvert Trust needs to use this site because of its accessibility but others can find alternative sites - Wodens Face, a natural crag, is literally just around the corner on the way to the Bowder Stone. With the use of a Larkin frame wheel-chair users can abseil from Bowder Stone point easily.

A Larkin frame in use.


Daisy here: 



I’ve been out to work with Roy. It’s great.

No comments:

Post a Comment