Tuesday 29 July 2014

My morning coffee stop.



I’ve often mentioned Friars Crag before and frequently show photographs taken there.  What I haven’t said before is that I often stroll along there with my early morning coffee and start my day with views that would be hard to better.  I know not everyone is lucky enough to have such a place outside their door but, if you can, you could take your coffee out in the garden or maybe a short stroll will take you to a little park area.  It beats every morning on the settee or at the kitchen table and you never know what you might see. Friars Crag is a honey-pot to visitors during the day but in the early hours it’s a different world where the sights and sounds of the natural world dominate.


At the Trust we are working to make it possible for as many as possible to enjoy this outdoor world when they visit here.  As part of that we are constantly checking the condition of the furniture in the area.  Furniture in this context includes walls, fences, gates, stiles, bridges as well as benches.  Chris, our Whitehaven Ranger, joined me one day recently as we carried out a survey of the condition of the furniture in the Castle Crag area. We took Chris’s two lurchers and Daisy with us and they had a great day of course.


It was a good, productive day.  We found a few things that need doing; where we could we actually did a few small jobs as we found them and we also spotted a tree beside a path that needed immediate attention.  The foresters dealt with that the next day.
   
            



Daisy here:


Chris’s dogs can run really fast but I can keep up with them – just.  But they got tired really quickly.  I’m more middle distance.



No comments:

Post a Comment