Thursday 13 February 2014

Reflections.



In sharp contrast to some of the outdoors work lately, I spent some time last week putting together materials for a presentation at an early season meeting for all the volunteers in our area.  This is where we reflect on what has been achieved during the year and remind ourselves of the vision for what we do next.  As an organisation the National Trust has thousands and thousands of volunteers and it is really important that we acknowledge and thank them for the vital part they play in what we do.


I’ll be talking about two major projects my team has completed.  The first is the creation of what we have dubbed the amphitheatre.  This is the area beside our Trust shop where we have made what might be called a platform with seating that can be used by both visitors and local residents.  The second is the rebuilding of a water heck at Stonethwaite when we even felled our own tree and stripped off its bark before installing it.  These were two very big jobs done against the background of the routine maintenance and litter picking etc. that keep the valley safe and stunning.





This is a part of my job that I especially enjoy doing because it gives me an opportunity to see the big picture of the phenomenal amount of work my volunteers have completed.  Usually we are focused on what we need to do next and that can sometimes seem daunting.  It’s only when we pause for reflection that we realise just how much we have achieved.  That’s the confirmation of how important our volunteers are and is also all the motivation they need to get stuck into the next big task.  Volunteers really are at the heart of all that the National Trust is able to achieve.


Amongst the Trust staff there is much good-natured banter about the merits of all our volunteer teams but of course, I know that my volunteers, including my behind the scenes office helper, are the best!



Daisy here,


I’ve been in the office.  That’s boring.


No comments:

Post a Comment