Friday 21 December 2012

Reflections and thanks.



So once again it is the time of year to reflect on what we have done.  This is when I realise just how much has been achieved.



For the Trust, hundreds of metres of hedges have been laid; a new post and rail fence has been installed on Friars Crag and old fences and stiles have been repaired and maintained.  A stretch of access-for-all lake-side footpath has been resurfaced.  On-going work has been carried out at Force Crag mine – the data from the drilling rig in January will inform the development of that project.  Areas around Castlerigg Stone Circle have been re-turfed.  
















As part of the Queen’s Jubilee celebrations I took part in building a bonfire on Crow Park and a beacon on Cat Bells.  


We also carried out an archaeological type of dig to locate old drainage systems in Cockshot Wood.  I’ve been involved in activities like the wild swimming event, leading mountain navigation sessions, woodland walks and talks plus the Easter egg trail. All of this has taken place against a backdrop of routine maintenance of any aspect of the Borrowdale area.

Taking our Wellchild visitors over to the island.
Overall, a huge amount of work as been done, including the nicest bits where we encourage people to come and enjoy an area of the country that I love.




Outside of work, I’ve had climbing trips to the Cairngorms and Skye; I’ve cycled in the Netherlands and Germany; I’ve cycled the Coast to Coast route twice (the second time without falling off!) and  I’ve been involved with the Mountain Rescue Team in the rescue of a number of people and some sheep.



And it just would not have been possible to do all this without the help of hundreds of volunteers especially those of my regular team who turn out weekly in all weather and work with great commitment and unfailing humour.  I also want to mention my volunteer who makes weekly appearances to help out with my office work.  Huge thanks are due to each of them.



THANK YOU VOLUNTEERS – WE CAN’T DO IT WITHOUT YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment