Thursday 8 November 2012

Borrowdale to Westminster Abbey



Most of this week I have been working on Friars Crag installing the riven oak fencing that I mentioned last week.  I’ve had ranger colleagues and also my volunteers working with me so the job is going well.  It’s a great place to work because of the opportunity to talk to so many people about what we are doing.  Most of them were very complimentary about it.  You can see for yourselves in the following pictures but Friars Crag is really a place that needs visiting to fully appreciate it.




As we worked one day, I noticed a boy of about 10 years old and his parents.  They arrived at the view-point and the boy said, ”Wow!” to which his mother replied, “I told you that you’d like it.”  They had obviously conveyed their own appreciation of the place and had created a bit of magic for him.  There was a strange contrast when I overheard a couple who were presumably making their way along the lake-side path but had taken the short diversion to the view-point.  They reacted with, “Oh, it’s just a cul-de-sac.”  That’s definitely one of the oddest descriptions I’ve heard of one of the most spectacular views in the Lakes!

During the week we had school visits for three days.  They stay in the Glaramara Centre and we go in to work with them in the morning then lead farm walks in the afternoon.  I led the first day with Dan, one of the other rangers, assisting but then he took over to lead the other two days.


Last Saturday I went with a few colleagues including Jessie to Cam Crag Ridge which is in Langstrath.  It is a nice, enjoyable scramble and we practised rope-work with Jessie who is doing her consolidation year for her Mountain Leadership training.


I mention that to contrast it with Jessie’s day on Monday when she did a reading in Westminster Abbey at a service for the dedication of a plaque commemorating Octavia Hill, one of the founders of the Trust. 






No comments:

Post a Comment