Monday 31 January 2011

Ranger Roy's blog from Borrowdale

Hi,
I’m the National Trust ranger for Borrowdale and Newlands in the North Lakes, UK.  I volunteered for the Trust since the age of 13 when I came on the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme and worked with the local warden.  I started by building a new fence on Friars Crag to tackle an erosion problem and making paths more accessible for people with limited mobility.  I enjoyed it so much that I continued to volunteer until I left school at 16 when I was lucky enough to get a job with the National Trust.  I have now worked for the National Trust for 28 years and still love the job and this area.
When I was 18 and an obsessive rock-climber, I was asked to join the Keswick Mountain Rescue Team.  I have now been a deputy leader with the team for 20 years.  The National Trust is flexible enough for me to rearrange my hours to go on rescues. My constant companion for the last eleven years has been Reiver, my golden retriever.  Reiver likes nothing better than days when we are out on the hill.

View down Borrowdale.

Hopefully you'll follow my blog to see what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment